1. Style

Naomi  Torres

Sugaring Hair Removal Recipe and Instructions

By June 29, 2009

sugaring hair removal recipe, sugaring paste, sugaring gel, how to sugar Did you know sugaring is more gentle to the skin than waxing and most people (including myself) say itís less painful? Better yet, you can make your own recipe at home with ingredients you probably already have with our Sugaring Hair Removal Recipe. Itís simple, cheap and all natural!

And once you have your sugaring product made, you can use it room temperature as a paste (get instructions) removing hair as short as 1/16Ē or heat it up in the microwave and use it as a sugaring gel (get instructions), similar to how you wax.

More on Sugaring: Photo © Naomi Torres

Comments

December 17, 2009 at 3:14 pm
(1) marissa says:

So i made the wax last night and it turned out HORRIBLE!!! I think 25 minutes is waaaaaay to long to cook it. My wax started to turn dark amber within 5-7 minutes, but i kept it on the stove because i wanted to follow the directions. After about 20 minutes the smell and smoke were unbearable, the wax had become like a big black rock. I had to use a hammer to break the wax apart and get it off of my sauce pan! I want to make it again, but im scared!! lol

December 18, 2009 at 8:52 am
(2) jeremy says:

Try cooking it at a slower pace and when you get the right color stop and let cool . The smoke was because you where burning it .

December 18, 2009 at 11:06 am
(3) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Marissa,
Wow, sorry to hear it didn’t turn out well for you. It’s very important that you cook it in a heavy saucepan so that it doesn’t overheat . After it comes to a boil it needs to simmer on medium low or even a very low temperature if it is a thinner saucepan.

For whatever reason the sugar got too hot fast, because it shouldn’t turn dark amber that fast. Like Jeremy said, it was smoking because it was burning.

December 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm
(4) Marissa says:

Thanks! I’ll try it again and see what happens!

April 15, 2010 at 8:25 pm
(5) amanda says:

whats it suppose to turn out like?? How long do u let it cool off and can u refridgerat it? And how long does it last? and do the hairs come back shorter and lighter everytime? Thanks

April 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm
(6) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Amanda,

If you click on the link for the recipe, it will take you step-by-step through all the directions with pictures of what it’s supposed to look like.

It needs to cool for a good ten minutes. I don’t refrigerate mine, but you do need to keep it in an airtight container.

When people use any technique that removes the hair from the follicle like waxing, tweezing, threading or sugaring, it can damage the hair follicle over time. The damage can make the hair come back finer or stop hair growth.

April 17, 2010 at 11:17 am
(7) amanda slaughter says:

Thanks but im just having no luck! Did it right yesterday with and candy thermometer and had it cooling in the fridge all day and just tried it..i can roll it up..but one i put i on it starts melting..and i kinda sick of the stick mess! I really need help..idk what im not doing! Im just so sad/pissed its not working..i really need this to work..i thought all hope was gone until i heard about this..and its not working haha!!

someone please HELP ME!!!!! I hate hiding inside all the time cuz im embarrassed!

thanks

April 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(8) grace says:

i made your recipie, and i think it came out the right consistency and color, but it sticks to my fingers so much that i cant do the next section of skin without taking a few minutes to wash my hands. any advise?

April 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(9) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Amanda,
If using it as a isn’t working for you, try it as the gel by heating it up in the microwave. Here’s the directions: How To Use Sugaring Gel.
If that doesn’t work for you, your other option is to purchase a sugaring gel hair remover. Here’s a list: Sugaring Products.

April 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm
(10) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Grace,
You can wear gloves and apply a bit of powder to the gloves so the paste sticks less.
If you use a section of paste more than two or three times it will get too sticky.

April 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm
(11) amanda says:

Okay that gigi gel..can u get something like it at the store? thanks

April 21, 2010 at 11:58 am
(12) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Amanda,

GiGi does make a product called Sugar Bare Sally Beauty Supply carries. If you can’t find it at your local store, it’s available online.
I haven’t used Sugar Bare, so I don’t know how it compares to the other sugaring gels out there.

April 27, 2010 at 1:03 am
(13) jenny says:

When pulling from the root..does hair grow back longer and darker? does it stay the same lengh has when u started?

April 27, 2010 at 1:47 am
(14) jenny says:

Okay to the question before with if the hair will grow back longer and darker? like say i do this sugaring thing for awile then i stop? i really dont wanna do this every two to six weeks for the rest of my life! will i be wolf women! lol

April 27, 2010 at 11:14 am
(15) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Hello Jenny,

Sugaring doesn’t increase hair growth, but it’s only a temporary hair removal method. So the hair will grow back, but not any longer or darker than you had in the first place.

In fact, some people who repeatedly remove hair from the follicle over time see less hair and/or finer growth because the follicle becomes damaged.

April 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm
(16) kim says:

Hey its my first time pulling from the root. i think the hair is growing back and its been 5 days? how often can i sugar? and how do i get the yellow off my fingers?

Thanks

April 30, 2010 at 10:01 pm
(17) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Hello Kim,

If there is a lot of hair growing back after five days, then the hair follicle was probably broken below the skin’s surface. The hair should stay away for weeks.
Because of its gentle nature you can sugar every week, but the hair needs to be at least 1/16 of an inch long to be removed.
For the yellow, I would use a body scrub to get the color off. Next time I would wear gloves.

May 10, 2010 at 9:35 am
(18) Anna says:

Okay..i tried this sugaring thing for the first time about 2 weeks ago and the hair is already back!?? oh and when doing ur upper lip..which is the best way to do it..it took me 40 min last time and made my face hurt! Oh and one more question..whats the point of removing the hair when u have to wait until a certin length to remove it again! It sucks cuz my hair is dark..and i dont want anyone to see it ever..people notice when u have hair then u dont then u do! Please help me..i beat myself up everyday..cry and wish i would die already! I dont even like my family seeing! sigh

May 11, 2010 at 10:54 am
(19) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Anna,
Did you use it as a sugaring paste or gel? The paste is a little trickier to use, and takes some practice to get the technique down. You need to make sure to hold skin taut when removing the sugar and never pull up. But flick (paste) or pull (gel) all the way to the other side. This will help eliminate some pain.

Since hair grows in cycles, you won’t be able to get each and every hair when sugaring since some hair is under the skin. Therefore, it’s normal to see some hair growth after two weeks. Another reason may be due to the hair breaking below or above the skin’s surface instead of removing the entire hair follicle when sugaring.
To use the paste, the hair needs to be at least 1/16″, so it has something to grab onto.

I’m sure people aren’t staring at your hair, especially your family. We’re always more self-conscious about ourselves. Please try to focus on the good in yourself!

Since you seem to be very upset about your situation, then you might want to consider electrolysis. The only method FDA approved for permanent hair removal.

May 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm
(20) Melanie says:

i made the paste, but it did not come out the right consistency. the color was amber and i even cooked it longer than the suggested time. what did i do wrong?

May 14, 2010 at 10:50 am
(21) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Melanie,

What was the consistency like: too hard, too soft?

May 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm
(22) Megan says:

Ok so i didn’t have time to let it dry for an entire 10 minutes cause i was doing this without parent permission so i put it in a container to let it cool. What will happen? is it going to be to sticky? can i microwave it to make it harder if it’s too sticky?

May 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm
(23) Megan says:

hope you can answer soon…

May 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(24) Megan says:

Um it did turn out too sticky since i only did it for like 20 minutes…can i microwave it for 5 minutes to harden it?? I really can’t do this again so i was hoping to get it right the first time but i didn’t have time :(

May 17, 2010 at 7:49 pm
(25) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Megan,

Since it’s too sticky, I would recommend putting a little water and microwave it for a minute or two and stir it. See if that helps.

Another suggestion- Tell your parents what you’re doing : )

May 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm
(26) Megan says:

I’ll try that and get back to you on that! and I think my parents would kill me if i’m making some weird sugar recipe…lol…

May 18, 2010 at 11:13 am
(27) jamie says:

whats the difference between sugaring paste and gel! How long does the hair have to be for the gel?? If its longer than the paste well crap! lol I tried the paste and its sticky and hard! It hurts my fingers i actually broke a nail trying to get it out! And which way to u go for like ur upper lip i spent an hour on it one day and it got sore..there has to be an easier way?? Is gel alot easier!

May 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(28) JAIME says:

Hey i seen u tell someone never go up? whys that? lol..my b/f thinks he knows everything and told me to go up..and now i thinking im trippin..looks like the hair came back longer and darker and all retarded like..and it came back so fast!!

May 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm
(29) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Jamie,

It sounds like the paste may have been overcooked. But you could probably still use it as a gel.

The difference between sugaring paste and sugaring gel is that sugaring paste is used in a paste form and used at room temperature. The hair only has to be 1/16 of an inch to be removed. The sugaring gel is heated up a bit and needs to be 1/4 of an inch to be removed. Using the paste is a bit tricky and takes some practice. The gel is much easier to use.
You can learn more here: Sugar Wax or Gel Vs Sugar Paste

May 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(30) jamie says:

1/4 dang that sucks..its long and so noticable! meh crap idk what to do..u dont know how serious i am about this its ruining my life

May 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm
(31) Casey says:

Instead of using 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon and water, can I use 1 cup of sugar and half of 1/4 cup of lemon and water?

Will the end results come out wrong?

May 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(32) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Casey,

You could probably do that 1 cup sugar and 1/8 cup lemon and 1/8 cup water. But you might need to adjust the cooking time to less since there is less to cook.

May 30, 2010 at 12:32 am
(33) Jayme says:

I left it on the stove for the reccomended 25 minutes and beyond but it wouldn’t darken. Can this batch be saved or do I have to start over? What should I do differently next time?
Please answer.
Thanks!

May 30, 2010 at 6:39 pm
(34) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Jayme,

You should be able to save it. Just add a little bit more water and continue to cook.

June 2, 2010 at 10:41 am
(35) betsy says:

Hello! Hey ive been sugaring for like 2 months..and the hair still comes back in a couple days??? I know hair as all kinds of different hair growth levels..but dang..when will it all be gone for a couple weeks! i wanna live..not look in the mirror freak out..and sugar/get mad! Its a pain in the butt..but its all i got! I know theres gel..but 1/4 way to long for me..even 1/16! Meh..how long does it take before u damage the hair so it NEVER grows back!?? My face hurts..i know u say u can go over it a couple times..but it takes me an hour just to do my upper lip!! Oh how much is it to get done..like at a salon! i hope not to much..i much rather have someone else do it! Lol

June 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(36) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Betsy,
Contact Alexandria Sugaring at 1-800-957-8427 or Simply Sugar at 1-888-60-SUGAR. Both of these companies can direct you to salons or spas in your area that use sugaring paste.

Threading is another facial hair removal option that can usually grab the hair if you can feel it. Generally, it’s much less expensive than sugaring.

June 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(37) Betsy says:

Hey again! Woo thats alot of dough! lol Okay i know i asked u this..but ive been doing it for like 2 months and the hair still grows back in the matter of days..like 3! I know hair as different levels..but when will it all go..and all stay away for a month! I hate it..just looked in the mirror and seen some!:( I HATE HAIR..its ruining my life

June 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(38) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Hi Betsy,

I understand that hair can be frustrating. I don’t know if all of the hair is being removed at the root. It might be breaking above or below the skin’s surface and that’s why you’re seeing it so soon. After sugaring (and the hair is removed from the root) every two weeks for about two months the hair should be staying away for at least three weeks, if not more.

Did you look into threading? It’s not as pricey as professional sugaring. They may even have it at your local mall.

Otherwise, you can always use a depilatory or hair removal cream because the hair doesn’t need to be a certain length. But it will only remove hair at skin level like shaving and can burn because it’s a strong product.

June 10, 2010 at 3:00 am
(39) betsy says:

OKay well idk whats going on..with my dang hair! Oh and okay like a day after i sugar..my skin starts chapping really bad! Like around my upper lip?? It sucks..takes a couple days to go away..then i gotta sugar again..then chap so on and so forth..its getting old! meh threading..sounds like a pain and alot of time! owe

June 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(40) katie says:

Hey..what am i doing wrong? i sugar myself then not even a couple days later its back..i understand there was hair that was to short to get so it came back but? hair breaking below or above skin surface..anything i can do about it? I want my hair to be gone completely for a least month! ANd everytime i sugar after a day my skin kinda peels? whats up with that? Oh and say for fingers..which is the better way to pull?

June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm
(41) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Katie,

It might take some time for you to become more experienced with sugaring for the hair not to break.

If your skin is peeling, you might be applying the sugar too many times over the same area.

The best way to pull? If you’re using the sugaring paste, it’s designed to pull the hair in the direction of hair growth. If you’re using the sugaring gel, then you pull in the opposite direction of hair growth.

June 23, 2010 at 8:26 pm
(42) martha says:

well i tried making the sugaring thing and i did and it looks about right and it feels right too after i cool it but that’s only the surface of it once i get my fingers into it it gets way too sticky and apparently it’s not supposed to be what did i do wrong?

June 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm
(43) Jenny says:

My recipe has been on the stove for 40 minutes, and it is still yellow! I did everything according to the directions, but it just isn’t turning the amber colour that it should…it’s not really getting darker at all! help??!!

June 25, 2010 at 10:22 am
(44) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Martha,

It seems like it didn’t cook long enough or at a high enough temperature. You can put it back into the pan with a bit more water and simmer it a little bit longer.

Jenny,

After is came to a boil, was the sugar simmering for the 25 minutes?

Also, the pan you’re using may not be flat enough. And the sugar that is on top may not be getting the right amount of heat to cook thoroughly.

June 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(45) martha says:

i tried that a couple days ago but i burned it on accident i’m just whipping up a new batch and see if i get it right this time

July 19, 2010 at 8:28 pm
(46) Erin says:

Hi..ive tried the sugaring paste..and no luck..grows back in like 5 days..drives me crazy… and ruining my life! So close to just crawling in a hole and dying..i stress out over it and yeah ive aged so bad…I was wondering if the hair removal creams work good?? which one is the best..i got senitive skin! And dont the creams do just like shaving..leave a shadow! U know..like say im doing my upper lip..will it leave a shadow like it does when men shave…like it shows the lil holes where the hair grows out..but they get worse!Please help me out..i really need it..i cant live like this anymore..wanna be happy and live again..always worrying if people can see it!

July 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm
(47) Lori says:

Hi. The 1st batch of the sugar recipe I cooked, I didn’t turn the heat down low enough after it started to slightly boil. It cooked too quickly & turned out as hard as a rock & smelled burnt. The 2nd batch turned out perfect! I used it last nite on my sweetheart’s back & we were amazed at how well it worked. We only sugared 1/2 of his back – it was quite painful for him & left his back red & with welps. I haven’t seen him yet today, so I don’t know what his back looks like – hopefully the redness & welps are gone. Any advice on that? I have talked to him this morning & while working outdoors, he apparently attracted numerous bees. One bee actually stung him on his back – the side that we sugared last nite! So, not only did the sugar recipe work to remove his hair (we had to trim it 1st), it also made him SWEETER than he already was. Ha. Any advice on the welps?

July 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(48) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Erin,

I’m so sorry about your situation. I know unwanted facial hair can be frustruating. Hair removal creams only remove hair at skin level. So, yes, depending on the thickness and color of your hair, you may see a shadow when it starts growing in.
If sugaring at home isn’t working out for you, then maybe you could get an epilator that will physically remove the hair for you.

Othwerise you can try getting professional hair removal like threading. Someone experience can remove really short hair. Better yet, I would recommend electrolysis for a more permanent solution.

Lori,

I’m sorry to hear about the redness and welts. Either the sugar was applied too many times over the same area, the skin was not held taut enough when removing the sugar, his skin is really sensitive or a combination.

Does he always work outdoors? Then it could be because of the tanned or sunburned state of his skin.
I would treat the skin carefully. Maybe try some aloe vera to calm the skin and neosporin to speed up the healing.

August 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm
(49) amanda says:

hey! does the hair come back shorter and lighter everytime? and how long does it take before its like peach fuzz? hair is ruining my life..cry all the time..and so close to just kill myself! I hate feeling like this..no way to live! I just started growing hair on my hands..its long..and i hate it! and are there other sugar hair removal recipes? sigh thanks

August 21, 2010 at 11:50 am
(50) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Amanda,

This hair situation can be fixed, so please don’t resort to drastic measures!
Yes,when you remove the hair from the follicle repeatedly, over time the hair usually becomes finer.

If you think that your hair is excessive you might want to to get your hormone levels checked. There could be something that is causing you to grow an excessive amount of hair.

August 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm
(51) amanda says:

Idk..i look like a freak now..sugared my arms like 3 days ago and now its growing back all retarted like! So if i got my hormones checked out..could they stop the hair from growing! lol my hormones are crazy so it wont suprise me! U dont know how bad i wanna live again and be happy and feel good about myself! Im so depressed…i got a wedding to go to on the 11th and im gonna look like a freak! Never and i mean never again am i gonna sugar my arms..i even did the gel and it took 3 hours just for one arm! Not cool..and i got bruises! Have u head of that kalo! I guess u still have to remove the hair but it retardeds the hair so it comes back less and less everytime! I really need a solution! Wish i had the money to get professionly sugared but..no..i dont even got a job! I see my hair coming back..and i just wanna crawl in a hole and die! Please help me! Any suggestions? i dont really wanna get rid of the hair on my arms..just make it shorter and lighter! but my upper lip and fingers and hands..oh yeah

thanks

September 20, 2010 at 2:01 am
(52) deborah says:

I made the sugar solution it looks perfect it feels flexible but it does’nt stick , i dont have any lotions or creams on my skin . What do i need to do ?

February 2, 2011 at 6:43 am
(53) tina says:

hi!
i have tried this recipe twice by now, but it becomes a candy every time. i keep it on low heat and need to microwave it for some time. please help. i need to know the exact amount of time to cook it.
thank u, hope to hear soon.

February 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(54) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Deborah,

The sugar needs to be pulled and molded into the skin. If it’s just placed and lightly spread it will not stick.

Tina,

After it comes to a boil it should simmer for about 25 minutes and turn a dark amber color.

February 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(55) Sphynx says:

I have made the sugaring recipe with much success several times. A few things that I will note. The color of the mixture is less important than the temperature that it is cooked at and to. While you heat it, it will gradually change color. Think of the color as browning the sugar. I cannot speak for those using strips as that is not the method that I use.

I like to cook the mixture for about 25 minutes at a temperature of 250 degrees F. Everything that I do is gradual. I raise the temperature slowly and hold it carefully. After about 25 mins I begin to raise the temp to 260 to 264 degrees. I continue carefully holding it at that temp for another 20 mins or so. During this time I am constantly testing the consistency of the mixture by dribbling a small amount into cold water. It will be done when it both stays in a ball and doesn’t become too sticky to work with in your fingers. If you find that it becomes mush after a short time continue cooking for a bit and test again. When I think that I have it I will remove the pot from the burner and take a small amount and dribble it on a plate and place in the freezer for a few mins until the mixture becomes room temperature or below. It is not frozen and definitely not hard like a butterscotch hard candy but is more like a caramel square, perhaps even an old stale one. Again, if its not quite there slowly raise the temp to 264 and cook for a bit longer a few more minutes. Then recheck.

Kneed it between your fingers. It should feel sticky and become softer as it warms, but not disintegrate into goo. you should be able to work it for some time before it becomes too warm and starts sticking to everything.

If done correctly, you will be able to store in the refrigerator, remove in the morning and use at room temperature in the evening. If you over did it a bit make a note for the next batch and give it 5 seconds in the microwave.

At room temp the mixture will be very firm. You can press your finger into it with some effort and make a dent. Work with small amounts ie. a heaping tea spoonful at first. Be careful that you don’t introduce bacteria by double dipping with a dirty utensil. You will bend a silver or stainless table type spoon digging into the mixture so use something disposable or bend it back.

My goal is to get a mixture that can be used for as long as possible before becoming too soft as I have a lot of area to cover. I do this by cooking it a bit longer and to a higher temp than most recipes will tell you. In this way the heat from your body will not make it unusable too quickly. Additionally, it works best in a cool environment.

I hope that this help some. Treat it as a science project and remember that sugar is pretty cheap compared to all the razors you will not be buying so don’t fret if it take a try or two.

A word on after care.
There are always some obstinate hairs that will grow back and begin to become ingrown for the first few times. I used a green kitchen scrubbie like a scotch brite pad to gently coax the hairs out from beneath the skin. Kind of scratching them out. Be gentle and best of luck.

March 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm
(56) alexis says:

Hi, i have been looking at diy inexpensive hair removal and came across sugaring. I was wondering if there is an easier way to make the mixture.. like in a microwave or something because i don’t think i could be bothered to cook it for 25 minutes :\ I came across this recipe that included microwaving but i didn’t know if it was waxing or sugaring. The recipe is similar to the one you use but it has honey in it and it tells you too pull the hair away from the skin. Could you please look at it and give me your opinion. http://makeupdweeb.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/diy-hair-removal-wax/

thankyou :)

May 27, 2011 at 2:08 am
(57) daysha says:

ok i followed the direction and it turned out perfect until i put it in my hands and tried to make a ball it kept sticking and when i finaly got it in to some shape of a ball and put it on my skin it would not come off no matter what i did. i had to use stuff to get it off what did i do wrong??? ive been getting waxed and sugared for a couple of years now and i am tired of spending so much money and want it to be cheaper. can anyone help me????

July 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm
(58) Erica says:

Hi. I was reading the article and comments; so I’ve became interested in trying this sugaring technique. My question is: Since I’m prone to ingrown hair and have it at the moment, could I still do it or no? Hope to hear from you soon.

July 22, 2011 at 10:46 am
(59) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Erica,

The paste would be the better choice over the gel because it removes hair in the direction of hair growth. If it’s done correctly (which will take some practice) you’ll have a less chance of getting ingrown hair because there’s less chance of breaking the hair.

For sugaring now, that would depend on how severe the ingrown hairs are because it could aggravate the area. Definitely not if they’re infected. Ideally, you would wait until they are gone.

August 7, 2011 at 8:49 am
(60) Maxine says:

Hi! Thanks for this recipe. I tried it out a few days ago and it turned like a golden brown colour. When I poured it into the container after a few minutes it turned rock hard. I couldn’t grab the sugaring paste with my hands. Is this what normally happens? I mean whenever you want to use the sugaring paste do you have to preheat it again or it just stays like elastic?

August 9, 2011 at 9:16 pm
(61) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Maxine,

It will be hard, but shouldn’t be rock hard. Put one tablespoon of water into the mixture and microwave it until it gets hot- which may be a couple of minutes. Remove from microwave and stir. Let it cool and let it harden a bit to use as sugaring paste. It should be the right consistency now and shouldn’t be rock hard anymore.

The next time you want to use it, place it in the microwave on 5 second increments to soften the paste if it’s a little too hard.

August 11, 2011 at 12:53 am
(62) eizme says:

can i use any citrus fruit instead of lemon? or are there other alternatives for lemon, i cant find lemon in our place.

August 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(63) hairremoval says:

Eizme,

I’m not sure, I have only used lemon. Any variation of the sugaring recipe I’ve seen has always used lemon as well. If you try it with another citrus fruit, let us know how it goes…

August 14, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(64) Tori says:

I left mine for ten minutes in an airtight container and it burned me?

August 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(65) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Tori,

After you’ve made the sugaring product it’s going to be very hot. Because most people use plastic containers, this 10 minutes gives the product time to cool down to be placed in plastic. But it needs to cool down further before you use it to remove hair.

If you use it as a gel, you need to make sure it’s the right temperature (not too hot, but warm enough to spread easily). If it’s watery or stirs too easily, then it’s definitely too hot. You also need to apply a tiny bit to your arm to test it before using it for hair removal. To use it as a paste it needs to cool down even more- to about room temperature or so.

August 19, 2011 at 7:22 am
(66) Emma says:

does sugaring paste has expiration date? Im planning to make another sugaring paste now but im planning to use it maybe after 6 weeks, is it ok?

August 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm
(67) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Emma,

It should be okay after 6 weeks. Just be sure to keep the sugar in an airtight container away from heat and moisture.

The actual shelf life depends on how it’s stored and the temperature and humidity it’s kept in.

February 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(68) keiko says:

Hai there, i tried making the sugaring paste last time and i tried to remove the hair and it was successful. Yesterday, i tried making it and it turn out fine but when i was using it as a paste, the paste could not stick onto the hair even though i think they were about like 1/6 of and inch or longer. It felt like the paste was unable to catch the hair. Is it my preperation of the sugaring paste wrong or could it be the method of applying the paste?

March 1, 2012 at 11:45 am
(69) Hair Removal Guide - Naomi says:

Keiko,

I’m not sure what happened. If the first time you made it and you removed the hair, it seems like you’re doing the technique to sugar the hair with paste correctly.
But if this time with your second batch, it’s not picking up the hair, it may have something to do with how the sugar was cooked. If the sugar isn’t cooked for the right amount of time and on the right heat, it won’t work as well or at all to remove the hair.

March 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm
(70) Gina says:

Hi & thanks for the recipe! I’m trying this method for the first time for lip & chin. My first batch was unusable…I cooked it too fast & hot & burned it. I’m going to try it again & let you know how it works.

I know this is a sensitive and painful issue for a lot of women. Excessive hair growth (especially facial hair) can make us feel less feminine & steal our confidence. I think hormonal imbalances(estrogen/testosterone) are often to blame…HRT (hormone replacement therapy) can be a big help and not too expensive. I’m trying this in a subdermal pellet form every 3-4 months & I feel so much better!’

Spearmint tea is also a natural method used to treat excessive hair growth. I’m also trying this & will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

April 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm
(71) Jackie says:

I made the paste and it came out great, the consistency is exactly what it looks like it’s supposed to be in the youtube videos I’ve seen, but the problem is that it doesn’t actually remove most of the hair on my legs! It gets some, but nowhere near all. Multiple passes doesn’t do it either. What am I doing wrong? I’m applying against the grain, and pulling it off in quick motions with the grain. I’m using cornstarch like I’m supposed to… What gives?

April 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm
(72) hairremoval says:

Jackie,

I’m not sure what the problem is. Is the hair long enough? It needs to be at least 1/16 of an inch. When you apply the sugaring paste, it needs to be somewhat spread slowly as it lightly pressed into the skin so that it can wrap around the hair.

April 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(73) Jackie says:

It was definitely long enough, I had let it go for like 5 days to be sure, and my hair grows REALLY fast. Like I said, I did it just as it was done in videos, pressing down firmly and spreading it slowly upwards against the grain… I tried it again a few days ago and had slightly better results, but it still was probably a 50% success rate.

May 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm
(74) Amy says:

I made this recipe today & it worked perfectly.

I usually use the Parrisa Cold Wax (I do heat it up though). It works great, but it is very expensive & I cannot buy it locally. I have tried the Gigi sugar wax because I can get it at the local Sally Beauty supply, but it is even more expensive & only comes in tiny little jars. I love that I can now make my sugar wax at home.

I followed the recipe exactly. I used bottled lemon juice because going out to buy lemons & squeezing them is just way more than I am ever going to do. I used a heavy pot instead of a saucepan. I also used a thermometer to watch the temperature. I read in several other recipes that you should heat the mixture to about 240F. I brought my mixture to a quick boil & brought the temp up to about 250F. I then dropped the heat on my electric stove to the “Low” setting & stirred it every 3 minutes until the color was similar to the last picture in the instructions. I did not actually time it to see how long it cooked, but the color was right & the consistency was the same as my Parrisa wax once it cooled. The whole time it was cooking on low, the temperature stayed between 230F and 255F.

I cooled it down (check the temp on the inside of your wrist so you don’t burn yourself), dumped it into a Gladware container & used it right away. This recipe was enough to wax the bottom half of both of my legs & under my arms. I will have to make another batch to do my upper legs & bikini area. I always use my wax warm (runny honey texture), spread it fairly thick, apply it with the grain, hold the skin tight & rip it against. I use cut up denim jeans as reusable, washable strips (don’t use dryer sheets or fabric softener if you want to do this) & I apply the wax with a small cake batter scraper. This wax washes right off with soap & warm water, but it is very sticky to work with. I have never powdered before waxing like some people recommend & I have never had a problem.

June 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm
(75) Kendall says:

Mine is to Gooy what went wrong?

June 28, 2012 at 1:03 am
(76) Megan says:

I’m pretty sure it turned out the way it was supposed to but it’s WAY too sticky to do anything with. What should I do? I’d really rather use the paste method rather than the gel method. Should I add some water and cook it for longer?

July 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(77) Hair Removal Guide - Naomi says:

Megan,

You could try adding water and cooking longer. But you might just have to start from the beginning.

July 27, 2012 at 2:35 am
(78) Cheryl says:

The first time I went through the process, it was too light so I put it back on the stove and added a little bit more water, and it turn a really nice dark color; but when I let it cool it was too sticky to roll into a ball. What did I do wrong?

August 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(79) light hair removal says:

Quality articles or reviews is the secret to interest the people
to go to see the web page, that’s what this web site is providing.

September 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(80) Tori says:

So, i just attempted my sugar paste but i didnt let it cook long enough! The paste has cooled completely at this point, but can i return the paste to the pan to finish??

September 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(81) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Tori,

I don’t know how that would work out. If you do try to cook it more, I would add a little bit of water. But it’s really best to start all over.

October 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm
(82) Eunice says:

My sugar wax keeps coming out too liquidy. I read the comments and I am reheating it with a bit more water but how much longer should I keep it on heat? It doesn’t seem to be getting thicker. Maybe I should just try a new batch? My first 2 batches came out too much like candy, most likely burned those so idk what I am doing wrong this time :/

October 12, 2012 at 11:18 am
(83) Yasmin says:

Hi! I am brazilian and the sugaring is very popular here. I use it since I started to wax, it certanely hurts less than using normal wax. I have a question tho, I have a lot of hair in my arms, and I wonder if waxing would be a good option, or I shouldnt wax my arms?

October 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(84) Thomson says:

Hello!
I just made the base it is currently sitting in an air tight container on my counter, it is a dark amber color and became so after over 25 minutes on the stove. However it is rather watery. Is there any technique(s) for thickening the paste?

Thank you and great instructions, love the picture support!

October 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(85) Neli says:

What I do I let the sugar wax cool of for ten minutes room temperature on a plate then if its too hard to roll then I microwave it for 50 sec adding a little water then I wet my hands and work it and start applying I keep microwaving it 4 to 5 times until its all gone its been working for me this way hope it helps ladies :)

November 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm
(86) B says:

Well, I made some, and it kind of worked (my skin feels so smooth! ^_^) but in some places it just snapped the hair of short, and there are several random hairs left. Am I re-using the same piece too much? (I use it till it turns opaque) or is my technique just bad?

November 9, 2012 at 10:36 am
(87) B says:

Well, I made some, and it worked really well in some places (my skin feels so smooth! ^_^) but mostly it just snapped the hair of short, and there are several random hairs left. Am I re-using the same piece too much? (I use it till it turns opaque) or is my technique just bad? I used it on my legs and it was the first time for any sort of hair removal, so the hairs were pretty long and fine

November 13, 2012 at 12:07 am
(88) Taylor says:

So all you use is white sugar cane, lemon and water ?

November 13, 2012 at 10:25 am
(89) Hair Removal Guide -- Naomi says:

Eunice,
It’s probably best to just start over. The sugar won’t work well if it’s not cooked enough or if it’s over cooked.

Yasmin,
Sure, you can wax your arms if you want the hair removed.

Thomas,
Sorry, I don’t know of any way to thicken the paste.

B,
You might be using the same piece too much. It sounds like you’re using it as a paste, and that’s the trickier than using it as a gel. So it does take practice to get the technique down. The hair can break if the sugar isn’t clinging onto the hair thoroughly and not being removed fast enough. The hair also has more of a chance of breaking if it’s long, like over 1/2″.

Taylor,
Yes– Just sugar, lemon and water. That’s it!

December 13, 2012 at 11:20 am
(90) Roxy says:

It took me a loooot of tries to finally understand what the color should look like, the pace to cook it, and the amount of heat to use and for how long. I have gotten very good at making it now. I buy the wax strips from a beauty store but most of the time I just use the wax alone. I have put the wax in jars with a cute ribbon, instructions, and wax strips and given it away as gifts. Friends love it! :) I can’t even tell you hpw many batches I have ruined before getting a good one I could use. Also if you do end up overcooking it, just try adding water, warm it and mix it and it will still work. :) I hope you try again!

January 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(91) Metalmommaa says:

I put this on the stove to cook and as it was simmering I decided to go over to make sure I followed the instructions step by step (which I did) and to read the reviews… Normally I read the reviews before I do or buy anything I’m putting on my skin but this time I was so trilled I jumped right in and I’m glad I did… As I started to read the reviews I became really discouraged that I was in over my head but I let it simmer, cool, and it was perfect! I’ve only done a small section and it pulled nearly every hair… I tested my arm which made it hard but I used the counter top to hold the skin tight by pushing up against it. Thanks for posting, I can’t wait to see the end results :)

March 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(92) Kristin says:

Ladies,
If you can’t do it yourself, I can help if you are in the area.. Check out my website at http://www.bottegasalon.com... I’m a Certified Sugarist that specializes in the ancient art and have been doing it for many years now.

March 5, 2013 at 9:13 am
(93) Nadine says:

How can you fix it if it turns out too dark and hard?

March 14, 2013 at 9:56 am
(94) vian says:

can u sugar wax with duct tape

March 14, 2013 at 9:59 am
(95) tori black says:

can u do it with duck tape insted of wax strips ?

March 29, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(96) Ank says:

I started using sugar paste after reading your recipe. It was the first time I managed to do it right. Recently I found something similar, except that this recipe contains salt. I want to try it, but I want to know what you think about it, first.
I found a recipe here:

Thank you very much!

April 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(97) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Ank,

I’ve never tried the recipe with salt. However, BodyHonee usues salt along with lemon and sugar in their hair removal product. I did an interview with the owner: http://hairremoval.about.com/od/waxing/a/bodyhonee-microwavable-wax-kit.htm

April 2, 2013 at 11:12 am
(98) chey says:

I followed the instructions to make the sugar wax but it became a bit too hard so I put in some water and I may have put too much cause it’s too sticky. Well I am able to roll it to a ball and use it for about 3 pulls but after that it seems to be melting and just leaves me with sticky skin and fingers lol. What can I do to fix it? Should I just heat it up again? Help!

April 13, 2013 at 11:26 am
(99) molly says:

is it possible too cook it in the microwave as i am a teen and don’t like hobs, so i was wondering if there was, i have been searching for a while to see if it is possible to make the mixture using a microwave but i haven’t had no luck and also how long will it take a stuff like that? Also i was wondering if there is another alternative for the lemon juice because we have none and i don’t really want to trek all the way to the supermarket but anyway, so website suggest vinegar but i don’t know, if you could please help me!!!!

April 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm
(100) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Chey,

You could try heating it up again but you might just have to make a new batch.

Molly,

Sorry, I don’t know if it can be cooked the in microwave or if vinegar can be used instead of lemon juice.

May 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm
(101) Ellie says:

After making the sugar wax, if I leave it to cool at room temp for a few mins could I then put it in the fridge to speed up cooling it?

June 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(102) dys says:

how long does hair removal wax is paste?

June 26, 2013 at 11:10 am
(103) Ari says:

I’ve made the sugar paste recipe twice since reading this article. The first time, it was way to sticky to use. I tried using the second batch yesterday, and while I could form a ball and apply it to my skin, it wasn’t removing any of the hairs. Then, after applying the paste and removing it once, it would be this weird hard almost plastic-y substance that wouldn’t stick to the skin again. I looked up some tutorials on YouTube to get a better idea on how to make the paste and remove hair with it. Most people on there used a paste that was a honey color, not a dark amber. Is it possible I cooked it wrong? I don’t have a heavy saucepan, but I would bring it do a boil, and then let it simmer until it reached the dark amber color.

I’ve been letting ALL my hair grow for about 6-7 days now, and I just want it gone! lol

Any suggestions?

June 28, 2013 at 11:11 am
(104) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

Ari,

It sounds like it was over-cooked, as it shouldn’t turn hard and plastic-like. Using a heavy saucepan helps keeps keep the product from over heating. It can be difficult to get the right balance. If it’s cooked too long it gets hard. If it’s not long enough, it becomes too sticky. You could also try using it as a sugaring gel rather than the paste.

July 4, 2013 at 3:22 am
(105) angela fisk says:

Hi Naomi
Would it be possible to prepare the mix in a slow cooker?
thanks
Angela

July 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(106) hairremoval says:

Angela,
It may be possible, but I’ve never tried it.

July 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm
(107) Ara says:

Having a problem with my wax :( I follow all the instructions but it always turns out weird. This time it seemed right but its just not sticking to my hair and pulling out anything? Can I do anything to fix this? Please help!

July 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(108) Jonni says:

Hi Naomi,

I liked your sugaring method and I have tried sugaring gel for three times.

I am letting it cool down and then heating it in microwave and checking the consistency for every 15 seconds, I ended up heating it for about 1 minute. Then I tried to apply it on my hand and it’s too hot so I let it cool down a bit but it’s not cooling down quickly and by the time I am able to apply the gel without burning myself it’s again becoming too hard so I am ending up adding water but it’s not removing the hair effectively.

Please let me know if you do know what I am doing wrong. Do you think I am cooking it too quickly with more heat because of the thin pan I am using or am I not allowing it cool down to room temperature before heating it in microwave which is causing the gel to be more hot that I can’t apply to my skin? These two are the reasons I can think of please let me know.

July 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(109) Jonni says:

I tried sugaring gel three times but I am always having a problem with balance between the temperature of the gel and it’s consistency. If I had to apply it at the right consistency I had to burn myself, if I wait till it cools off then I am ending up with hard rock.

Let me know what I am doing wrong, I think maybe I am not allowing it to cool completely before heating it in the microwave or am I over heating it due to the sauce pan I have, these are the only things I can think off. I am waiting for half-hour before microwaving the mixture again, is it enough?

August 26, 2013 at 8:36 am
(110) llorne says:

I heated the mixture at low heat and the color was perfect. It looked perfect and ready to b used until it cooled down to room temperature and became hard rock! ive tried this twice. same thng happens. What am i doing wrong x\

September 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm
(111) Croix says:

So. I decided to try sugaring today. I found the standard recipe but I didn’t have a candy thermometer so I just guessed at the color and consistency. I got the perfect consistency and I applied it a little hotter than I was supposed to but I liked the consistency better hot and I could take the heat. It worked great for me but it hurt in the bikini area so badly! I wouldn’t use this on the bikini area ever again especially around the labia! So painful. I couldn’t touch that area after one pull! Not good for a full Brazilian wax. But, I think it’ll work nicely on my legs and I can’t wait to test it out once the hair grows out enough. In a nutshell, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND SUGARING THE BIKINI AREA!! Might be good for legs. Underarms may be a bit of a stretch. Depends how much pain you can take.

September 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(112) Naomi says:

To those of you that had it turn out out too hard. It was overcooked in some way due to a couple different reasons: the temperature, the thickness of the pan, or the length of time.

If you’re using it as a sugaring gel that day, then you can wait until it cools just enough to use it.

Microwaving it repeated times may overcook it. But it shouldn’t be overcooking the first time.

October 1, 2013 at 12:13 am
(113) Lakwena says:

Hi , so .. i just wanted to know what will happen if you just shaved a day ago so you don’t really have hair .. will it not work ??

October 4, 2013 at 10:09 am
(114) Naomi says:

Lakwena,

The hair won’t be long enough in a day after shaving. It needs some length for the sugar to hold onto. If you’re using it as a paste, it’s about 1/16″ and as a gel 1/4″ or so.

October 20, 2013 at 9:19 pm
(115) Jeannie says:

Can the wax paste or gel be kept in a wax pot heater and used over several days like wax? I wax professionally and would like to try making and using the product.

October 25, 2013 at 11:48 am
(116) Naomi says:

Jeannie,

I think that should be fine if you kept it in a wax heater as long as it’s covered rightly after using. Shobha Salons use a real sugaring gel (not wax mixed with sugar) that’s heated up in a wax pot.

October 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(117) Hli says:

I am sure I did something wrong along the way but not sure which part(s) I messed up. I followed the instructions. I didn’t want to have a burning smell in the process of making the sugaring paste/gel so when I simmered the paste/gel, I lowered the heat a little. I let it simmer the time given within the directions, 25 minutes. And when that was done, I took it off the stove to let it cool for 10 minutes and poured it in to the container. This is the part where I noticed the color wasn’t the right color. Is it possible that it can be cooked again or throw it away and start over?

November 13, 2013 at 6:35 am
(118) Andrea says:

Ok so I did my sugaring paste in the microwave with the recipe using 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup of water for about 12 minutes ( intervals of 2 minutes), with the correct color, now I let it cooled completely but could be bothered to put it in a container.

I do live on a very humid island so my paste is starting to get a little liquidly and sticky.

What can I do to make the paste better, reheat it until it’s like honey and then store it in a container or should I just stick the current paste in the fridge for a few hours?

Good luck to all the women in the world that want to rid of either light or dark course unwanted and unsightly body hairs (like me) there is hope and loads of products and solutions out there but you have to be willing to take time out and find the right solution for you.

December 18, 2013 at 3:08 am
(119) amanda says:

I have made the paste and it looks exactly like it should and I can roll it up in a ball but when i go to whipe it on the hair it doesnt rip of it is just all sticky. Why is this??

January 11, 2014 at 7:41 pm
(120) Ronica says:

I was excited to make it. So now i made it and now it wont stick and its too watery. What should I do put it back on the stove, since i do not have a microwave? Please help and when i am using it under my chin what should i use and where can i get wax strips?

January 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm
(121) Ronica says:

my wax came out to watery do i put it back on the stove, since i do not have microwave or do i start over :(

March 9, 2014 at 5:44 am
(122) Vivi says:

Hi. I made this stuff for the first time tonight. I tried to follow the instructions to the letter but my starting temp was medium rather than medium-high, so when I got to 25 minutes it had not yet turned darker.

I just continued to let it simmer until it did turn the right color. I have already done a patch test on my arm using it with a handkerchief, and it worked brilliantly! I am waiting for it to cool a bit more so I can put it in a container and then after a bath I will use it as a paste on my bikini line.

I am really looking forward to this. It was dead easy to make. I made it while cooking Carbonara for dinner so I could eat while the sugar mixture cools.

If you’re under 18 and wanting to make this then I would highly suggest getting more comfortable with cooking in general if you’re not. Talk to a parent about your body image issues and enlist their help or they might have some suggestions of their own. Or begin to hint that a gift voucher at a local salon for a leg wax would be a good idea for a birthday or something, it’s more conventional so easier for them to accept than, “I don’t like my body hair, I want to smear melted sugar all over it.” If they don’t know you’re suffering they won’t know how to help, and trust me, they will probably want to.

March 10, 2014 at 10:05 am
(123) Vivi says:

Okay. So I tried using the stuff I made last night. It worked really well, but I couldn’t get the technique down. I had to use cloth the same way as waxing instead of the paste technique (even at room temp it stuck to the cloth perfectly) because it wasn’t sticking enough to my fingers to pull it off and even with cloth strips I had some trouble with pulling it off clean sometimes. I did my bikini area so it was naturally a bit difficult to maneuver around down there, but I’m happy with the end result. All I will say is THANK GOD this stuff is water soluble! When I had gotten to a point that I was reasonably happy with I washed off the excess mixture and just tweezed the stray hairs that I couldn’t get with the sugar.

Sometimes I knew that I wasn’t pulling the skin taut enough and sometimes I figured out that I hadn’t used enough powder to stop the sugar from sticking to my skin. I watched the video but I must be doing something wrong. I’d appreciate any tips on technique as I’d really prefer to paste it instead of using messy cloth strips.