1. Style

Naomi  Torres

Licensing for Eyebrow Threading?

By December 16, 2009

Eyebrow threading, which uses a string to remove hair, has been going on for centuries in Eastern countries. It's a popular choice for many because it's quick (if you get the right tech), doesn't use any chemicals like waxing and there's no chance of getting burned.

You can often find people doing threading at mall kiosks and storefronts. But many of these people who are threading at the malls don't hold an actual license like cosmetologists and estheticians do who perform hair removal services at salons and spas. It's a technique that's usually passed on to through the generations.

In Texas, they are cracking down. According to an article on KVUE News, "The Texas Department of Licensing has been citing people who practice threading without a license. For its fiscal year in 2009, 41 citations were issued. In 2008, that number was just 11."

As the law stands right now in Texas, people practicing threading will have to pay the tuition to go to school to get the 750 training hours, and learn all of the facets of the esthetics and obtain a license or else get fined. Many people threading don't feel it's worth the time and money to get a license for skills they won't use, when they will only be threading. So The Institute of Justice announced that it filed a lawsuit against the State Board of Licensing and Regulation on behalf of eyebrow threaders.

Another option would be for the State of Texas to create a separate threading license, requiring much less training hours for this niche service like it has done for hair braiders. Read full article and see video.

As this service becomes more and more popular, the licensing and regulation of the ancient hair removal technique will probably be in debate in your State soon enough. Tell us what you think and leave your comments below.

Comments

July 16, 2010 at 10:02 am
(1) ali says:

do we need a license for eyebrow threading?

October 24, 2010 at 12:06 am
(2) john ngo says:

i think that the way of doing thread is simple. therefore there no need to be licensed.

December 15, 2010 at 9:59 am
(3) sofia says:

So here in California where and how do i sign up for this certification?

December 18, 2010 at 11:07 am
(4) Hair Removal Guide- Naomi says:

You need to check with the State Board of Cosmetology in California to see what the requirements are, every State is different.

January 15, 2011 at 2:31 am
(5) rigdol palzom says:

i think its fair to have 35 hours to get license for eyebrow threader as like hair brading license ….. coz i don’t think you need 700 hours to learn to do just eyebrow threading …..

January 25, 2011 at 11:52 pm
(6) neha says:

It’s really worth to have a 35 hours to get the license…But, I don’t know from where I can get this. If somebody knows please let me know as soon as possible.I will be really appreciate

Regards,
neha

April 1, 2011 at 12:42 am
(7) abey says:

i think stae should give licence because people thinks threading is easy and they can start their buisness in few days they look on the internet and practice its not easy i am a threader 15 years experience in malls girls cut the eyebrows thats not fair state should make some kind of laws

June 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(8) steve says:

the states are full of s*it, the license they require has NOTHING to do with threading, its like requiring a dentist license to work on cars.

June 16, 2011 at 11:55 am
(9) Cynthia says:

I agree l think they should make like a 35-40hr coarse to gett licensed for eye braw threating, because to get a cosmelology license cost about $17,000.00 and thats tooo much money. Its just like hair braiding, l think we should all get together and make a petition and take it to Austin.

June 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm
(10) Kristy says:

Hi All,
Somebody can help me, what is the process of eyebrow threading business starts? Do we need eyebrow threading license for that or not?

July 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(11) Rnce says:

Do we need a cosmetology license in New Mexico if i want to open a eyebrow threading salon? I know in CA you dont but then again different sets of states have different regulations and stuff.

July 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm
(12) Nik says:

Do we need a cosmetology license in Georgia if i want to open a eyebrow threading salon?

February 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm
(13) t says:

In america we follow proper hygiene and although threading seems harmless at the outset and often is — a client could get hives from thread or any other skin issue may arise. the client could return and sue the business.

our skin is the most curious of an organ. there is so much we still don’t know about so we mustn’t take threading as a harmless act. in addition, whomever comes in contact with another person’s skin must be a licensed professional. if you want to get your hair removed by a non licensed person then do it yourself. we take hygiene seriously in america by having laws around it. laws protect us — both the business and client.

April 19, 2012 at 9:53 am
(14) OceallyAnneni says:
May 12, 2012 at 8:16 pm
(15) Aayena says:

People who wants to work as a threader, they need licence of cosmetology or esthetic but they don’t teach threading in that course. Some schools teach threading and they provide just certificate of completion but they don’t give licence.

I think these things to be done in near future for threading licence.
If somebody wants to get threading licence,
They will get appointment in the beauty school which is near to you. In exam you will have to show the examiner by doing eyebrow, lip, sideburns, cheek, chin of somebody. If she is pass , she will be given licence after paying the exam fee.

I think this is the best way to get threading licence .

If u have certificate of completion can u work without licence? Need information…..

Thanks

August 30, 2012 at 3:32 am
(16) Sanee says:

I’m doing this from last 8 years and have certificate from my back home. I’m new in USA and living in California. What shall I need to get certificate of eyebrows threading or to get the license?.

Thank You !!

September 8, 2012 at 10:34 am
(17) carpinteyroblm says:

Here let me understand more knowlege!

January 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(18) Joyce says:

Hi,
This is Joyce .I need employee for eyebrow threading .or I can open and some one can be manager.please contect me.
Thanks.
Joyce.
317 509 6001.

March 8, 2013 at 11:32 am
(19) Vanessa says:

In the State of Iowa an esthetic license (9 mos of schooling plus cost) is required to perform eyebrow threading, which is absolutely ridiculous to me. There are kiosks located at the local malls with women performing this service for a living. I understand the legalities of this however there must be an exception to the rules about eyebrow threading.

March 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm
(20) shanti shramabhusal says:

I want to get a threading license. how do I get?

April 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm
(21) Shah says:

I think state has no school where they can teach threading.So why they need license.It is just an other tax form.

June 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(22) rosane says:

I want to know were I can find eyebrow treading classes in the Chicago area.

July 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(23) julie says:

I really think it’s unfair to require anyone to attend a cosmo & Esthetician school and pay all that money taking courses you don’t need just to do threading of eyebrows. To me,it’s just another way for someone to get money out of people,cause they don’t have their hands in the pot per say. I went to school for Esthetician,let me just say,I learned more about makeup in Modeling School than I did Esthetician school,and for eyebrow threading,they don’t even teach it,in fact they are against it in most schools,why would they even teach it? There needs to be just a school then just for threading,if states are going to require a license,cause it is not fair to pay so much money for courses you will not need,but once again,it’s like a high schooler being jealous cause they don’t have a hand in the pot getting $$$$$

September 19, 2013 at 10:58 am
(24) niki says:

How do i get threading linces in Ohio?

November 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm
(25) 58 says:

Well being a costumer, I have had more great costumer service from eye brow threaders who are not licened and have gotten my eye brow half taken off and thinned out many times by licened eye brow threaders. Being licened does not make you any better apparently.

January 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm
(26) landy says:

Any news about the lawsuit?

January 17, 2014 at 12:27 am
(27) MAHER says:

YES, YOU DO NEED A LICENCE TO DO THREADING. OTHERWISE IT WILL BECOME AN UNHYGIENIC ACT. BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY SHOULD NEVER LET ANY TOM, DICK & HARRY TO PRACTICE THREADING WITHOUT A COSMETOLOGY OR ESTHETICIAN LICENCE.