1. Do dull the nerves
Prior to waxing apply something to numb the skin like No Scream Cream. Take an aspirin or ibuprofen about 30 - 45 minutes before your wax. This is especially helpful when getting waxed above the lip, chest, bikini and genital areas- which top the list as the most pain-provoking areas.
3. Do reduce acidity
Smoking and regular caffeine and alcohol comsumption creates a lot of acid in the body's system. You might benefit from taking something like Tums 20 minutes before your service to reduce acidity and therefore reduce skin's sensitivity.
4. Do use a body scrub
While the skin on the face is generally exfoliated enough in terms of waxing, the body needs a little extra help. A somewhat gritty body scrub will help rid dead cells around skin pores and hair follicle, providing an easier exit. Made for use before waxing, try Relax and Wax Scrub Me Luscious Lemon Drop which won't leave the skin greasy or oily and helps prevent ingrown hair.
5. Don't apply astringent or tonerThese tighten the pores and can make a firmer hold on the hair follicle. So hold off right before waxing.
6. Don't use ice for numbingYou might think that ice would be great to numb skin and reduce waxing pain. But applying anything cold to the skin tightens pores. It's the same principle as above, we want pores nice and relaxed.
7. Don't drink a lot of caffeine or alcohol
While having a couple glass of wine or beer before getting waxed sounds like a great idea, stimulants in the system can cause skin to be extra sensitive to waxing. Give yourself a couple hours after drinking coffee or alcohol before getting waxed. Instead, drink a lot of water to hydrate your body and skin.
8. Don't think waxing at home will be easyIt's hard to do on yourself, and will really hurt if you don't know what you're doing.
9. Don't tense upSome people hold their breath or tense their whole body while getting waxed. While it might be easier said than done, breathe deeply, a relaxed person will cope much better with the pain.
10. Don't wax where you shouldn'tThe inside of ears and nose, eyelashes, nipples and male genitals shouldn't be waxed. Don't try waxing over sun-burned or irritated skin, warts, moles, cuts or pimples. Not only is it dangerous, but it could give you some mighty big pain.
Other issues from waxing like ingrown hairs, pimples, bumps, bruising and more can also occur.