I know many people fear getting waxed because they can't bear the thought of getting hair ripped out. So how bad is it? I'm not going to lie- yes, it can be painful- especially if it's your first time or you're getting rid of hair on the skin above the lip, bikini, genitals or chest. But, we have some help so it doesn't have to be a horrifying experience.
- Going to the pros? Just because someone is licensed, doesn't mean they're skilled. Find someone experienced by asking friends and family for referrals of a great waxer. They'll be fast, hold skin taut so there's less pulling and use the right type of wax for the area.
- Waxing yourself? Be sure to read and follow instructions. Not properly prepping skin, applying too much wax and removing hair the wrong way is just asking for unnecessary pain. (How to Wax Guide.)
- Want a Brazilian? This speciality wax that removes most or all of the genital hair shouldn't be done yourself. You need to go to somebody that specializes in this service to avoid needless waxing pain and other problems that could arise from someone not highly trained. Learn more: (How to Get a Great Brazilian Wax.)
- The wax type can make all of the difference. Hard wax (compare prices), also called stripless wax because you don't use a strip to remove the wax is great for coarse hair like in the bikini area and chest. Cream wax (compare prices) is great for sensitive facial skin.
- Do a little prep. Taking simple steps will make waxing less uncomfortable, like relaxing the hair follicle and numbing the skin to name a few. Read all: Top 10 Tips to Reduce Waxing Pain.