Salicylic acid's deep exfoliating action can take moisture along with it. Unless the skin is dehydrated or lacking water, oily skin types should be okay mixing it with water. Otherwise add Jojoba oil, a vegetable oil closest to the sebum (oil) that humans produce, to help replenish lost moisture for normal to dry skin.
Honey is not only sweet to eat but has natural hydrating, antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties. Honey in the recipe will help ward off bacteria so the area doesn't become infected, moisturize the skin and reduce swelling. All very much needed.
- 3- 4 uncoated Aspirin tablets
- Water for oily skin or Jojoba oil (compare prices) for normal or dry skin
How to Make Aspirin Mask
- Place hot water in a large glass bowl. Take 1 tsp. of honey and ½ tsp of water or jojoba oil and put it in a smaller bowl in the hot water so that it softens.
- Crush three to four uncoated aspirin tablets using a mortar and pestle or fork. Remove the bowl of honey mixture from hot water and add crushed aspirin, mixing together with fork. If the consistency is still too thick, add a tiny more oil or water. It won't be the usual thick mask that you're probably used to and that's okay, it will still do the job.
- Test the temperature of the mask and apply over the ingrown hairs using your fingertips, staying far away from eyes. The mixture is also great for pimples, so place on them as well. Let it dry about ten minutes and remove with warm water, making sure all traces are gone and pat dry. Use mask once or twice a week depending on your skin type and severity of your ingrown hairs.
Where and When Not to Use:
- If you're allergic to any of the mask ingredients or salicylic acid, if you're pregnant, breastfeeding or have any medical condition that has you avoid aspirin.
- An area that has been waxed or had a salicylic acid, glycolic or an enzyme product applied in the last four days.
- Irritated, inflamed, cut, or sunburned skin.
Looking for other ways to prevent and rid ingrown hair with ingredients at home and save money?