How Does it Work?A cotton thread is pulled along unwanted hair in a twisting motion, to trap hair in a mini lasso, and lifts hair right out of the follicle.
- It's extremely sanitary. Nothing but the thread touches the skin, and it's thrown away after use.
- Great for people with 'trouble' brows. Threading has this amazing ability to be so concise in the hair that it removes. It's sworn by people who say they can never get their eyebrows even, despite tweezing, waxing or sugaring.
- No chemicals are applied on the skin. When people have certain circumstances, or are taking medicines that conflicts with waxing and sugaring, they may be able to turn to threading.
- It's very fast. Although every technician is different, it takes the person who has threaded my eyebrows two minutes flat, from start to finish.
- Temporary results can turn into permanent. Over time, frequent threading can cause the hair follicle to become damaged, and stop growing hair.
- If done incorrectly, the hairs can break. If hair is broken from an inexperienced threading professional, hair re-growth will show up much quicker.
- It can be hard to find someone experienced threading hair. It's a true art that has been passed down through the generations, and isn't something you can easily learn in a couple classes- especially to do brow shaping. Unless you live in a large metropolitan city, you probably won't find a salon or spa that does threading.
- Some hair growth is necessary. 1/16 inch of hair is needed for thread to wrap around.
- Not generally performed on the body, only the face.
Ouch FactorThe discomfort is similar to tweezing, but the process is much, much quicker. Some people say they have very little pain from threading, but it has a lot to do with the skill of the technician. Use a warm compress to relax the hair follicle for an easier exit, and apply a numbing spray prior to service if you have a low tolerance to any discomfort.
Threading Hair Removal CostsThreading is primarily done on the face, and pricing will vary according to where the salon or spa is located, and what type of facility it is. A 15% - 20% gratuity on your total bill is customary and suggested.
- Eyebrow (both eyebrows, including in-between) $12 - $50
- Lip (skin right above upper lip) $6 - $20
- Full Face $35 - $60
- Chin $6 - $15
If you can master the technique, wonderful. There are some tool that provide some help for those not so crafty. Read reviews of two we've tested: Karmissie Threader Deluxe Kit and Helix Thread Ease Hair Removal Kit.