I highly recommend cream wax (compare prices) heated up in a wax pot. Great for delicate facial skin because it's one of the gentlest waxes, it’s also easier to work with than honey waxes because of its less sticky consistency. While the cold wax strips seem like less work, they don’t grab onto the hair as well as heated wax.
- Buy waxing kit. Compare waxing kit prices.
- Have enough hair. Facial hair needs to be at least 1/4" long.
- Pull or pin-back hair. You don’t want your hair in the way or end up getting wax in it.
- Wash hands. You would never work with dirty tools, would do?
- Cleanse facial area. Wash face to rid makeup and oil, pay dry and then apply a pre-wax cleanser. Lightly dust powder on area to be waxed. Don’t over do it on the powder, more isn’t better.
- Wax on. Apply wax evenly in the direction of hair growth using applicator (wooden stick) to the hair in somewhat small sections. Be careful! You want enough wax to thoroughly cover hair, but not so thick that it becomes too thick to remove.
- Cover with strip. Apply strip in the direction of hair growth, leaving some leftover strip at the end not attached to hair like a tab (say hair grows from left to right- leave leftover strip on right side). Press and firmly smooth hand over strip in the direction of hair growth a couple times, to ensure wax is attaching to hair and has slightly cooled.
- Wax off. Grasp onto the end of strip that isn't attached to hair. Hold skin taut with one hand, and remove strip in opposite direction of hair growth in one quick pull, all the way to the other side. Don't pull up, which might be your natural inclination. Press hand down on skin to help relieve some of the pain, after strip is removed. (Sounds silly, but it works!) If a little bit of wax with hair remains, simply put strip back on hair and pull off.
- Repeat. Continue with steps 6-8 working in sections until you have removed unwanted hair. Don’t apply wax over the same area twice or you can burn or severely irritate your skin.
- Clean up missed hairs. Use clean tweezers to remove any hairs missed by the wax.
- Clean wax off skin. Remove any remaining residue, with wax remover, baby oil or petroleum jelly.
- Soothe skin. Apply after-wax lotion, or an aloe based lotion or gel.
- Do NOT perform facial hair waxing you are taking Accutane. Read: Waxing Precautions & Warnings for the full list.
- Wax in front of a large mirror (not hand-held) so you can see clearly.
- Practice using the wax on a small part of your body, like your arm so you get the feel of it. Always test small amount of wax on hand before waxing, to make sure it’s warm, not hot.
- If you're worried about pain, apply a numbing spray (compare prices) to a cotton swab and then to eyebrow area. Make sure not to get directly in eyes!
- After waxing keep hands away from skin to avoid getting red bumps and irritation. See other ways to prevent side effects of waxing.
What You Need
- Wax warmer
- Cream wax
- Pre-wax cleanser
- Baby powder
- Muslin or pellon strips
- Wooden applicators
- Wax remover for the skin (or you can use baby oil or petroleum jelly)
- After- wax lotion, or aloe based gel