Prepping to Prevent Pimples
- Rid dead skin cells. Use a gentle exfoliator or wash cloth with warm water prior waxing to make sure all make-up and oil is removed.
- Cleanse. Use a pre-wax cleanser on the skin with anti-microbal properties like Gigi Pre Hon (compare prices).
- Keep it clean. If you're at home, scrub your hands and nails thoroughly with warm water and soap.
- No double dipping. Even if it's your own wax pot, only dip the applicator once and use a fresh stick each time. Then you won't be introducing any bacteria into the product. If you go to the pros, it's even more important that the salon or spa practices this precaution.
Post Care to Prevent Pimples after Waxing
- Cleanse again. Apply witch hazel, which has antiseptic properties with a cotton ball or square.
- Don't touch. I'm sure you love the feeling of your smooth hair-free results. More susceptible to infection after removing the hair follicle, fingers will put oil and bacteria on the skin.
- Exfoliate again. Lightly exfoliate the next day, unless you're red or tender.
- Beware of your spa habits. Stay away from pedicures if you had a leg wax, and saunas and whirlpool with any type of waxing for the next two days. If you had body waxing, stick to a shower rather than a bath for the rest of the day.
- Don't exercise. Doing anything that is going to make you sweat alot that day should be avoided.
- Tight isn't good. Stay clear of tight clothing where you had the waxing for the next few days.
- Don't even think of popping. If you do get a pimple, resist the urge to pop it as this spreads the bacteria and can encourage more pimples. Instead, apply a tiny bit of tea tree oil, or your other favorite pimple-killing product.
If you're still getting pimples after waxing, consider using another method that removes the entire hair follicle from the root. Threading is wonderful for the face, especially the eyebrows and hardly touches the skin using a string. Sugaring is made up of natural ingredients and doesn't remove live skin cells like waxing.
Other issues from waxing like ingrown hairs, pain, bumps, bruising and more can also occur.